Wednesday 31 August 2016

Craft and Coffee Wednesday - polymer clay trinket dish

Hello there,

Welcome back to another craft blog post from Bake, Natter and Roll.

For this project you need to make sure you have some polymer clay before you start - but its a really simple craft project and you can either keep the dish for yourself or they make cute gifts....


These marbled beauties are made using several different coloured polymer clays, I love the effect and you never quite know what you are going to get.

I use Fimo clay - not sure why...I just love the colours.


The more colours you use for this project, the more colourful your final dish - for this one I used just three colours. To start off with you need to make long sausage shapes out of your clay...


In this case I used more white than the other two colours. 

Next you need to twist the sausages together, before turning them into a ball of colourful clay...



Next you need to start rolling your clay out.....and this is where the magic happens. 
I used a glass jar to roll my clay- this meant I could see my clay as it marbled....


I enjoy this part of the project - watching the colours marble and blend. 
Do it slowly though, otherwise you might loose the marbling effect. When you're happy with your colours you can cut out a small circle of the clay...


I probably could have used a bit more clay for this project - as you can see I only just had enough! Next lie this circle into base of a small dish in order to shape it...


Then you need to bake your clay (in the dish) following the manufacturers instructions. 
When the time is up, remove your dish from the oven and leave it to cool. Your dish will just fall out when you turn the china dish upside down.


Now my dish had some rather rough edges, so I just got a nail file and smoothed the edges down.

The next bit is optional, as you can just leave the dish unglazed. However, I think the finish you get from Mod Podge is lovely and works really well with the marble effect.

So I gave my dish two coats...


Finally I was finished.....and I just love my little dish....


This project might not be as quick as some of the other projects (as you have baking, cooling and drying times to factor in), but I think the uniqueness of the marbling makes up for the wait! 

We hope you've enjoyed this project -we'd love to see your makes if you try it at home! Send us a photo of your trinket dish!

Thank you for popping by today,

The Bake, Natter and Roll Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for popping by the Bake, Natter & Roll blog - we'd love to hear from you....